CALCIUM SCORING CT
WHAT IS A CALCIUM SCORING CT?
Calcium scoring is a screening exam to determine if a patient has coronary artery disease (CAD)—even without symptoms. Calcium scoring measures the amount of calcium built up in the arteries to determine the presence of CAD. The study can also determine the extent of a patient’s CAD if found. Cardiac calcium scoring uses a computed tomography (CT) scan to create images of the heart
What is coronary artery disease (CAD)?
Coronary artery disease—or CAD—is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States. Arteries supply blood to the heart, and healthy arteries are vital to overall wellness. When cholesterol and plaque (calcium deposits) build-up in artery walls, the arteries can become hardened and narrow over time. This blockage restricts blood flow to the heart, which can lead to heart attacks and permanent heart muscle damage. CAD can also cause the heart to weaken; this can lead to heart failure or arrhythmias - abnormal heart rhythms.
Who should get a calcium scoring CT?
Patients who are at risk of CAD should have this study. You might be at an increased if you have one or more of the following risk factors:
- High blood cholesterol level
- Family history of heart attack
- High blood pressure
- Cigarette smoking
- Obesity or physical inactivity
How to prepare for a calcium scoring CT
Typically, no special preparation is required for a cardiac calcium scoring CT. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when preparing for your study, including:
- Bring your insurance card and photo identification
- On the day of your exam, wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing
- Avoid clothing with metal zippers, hair pins, jewelry and snaps
- Drink plenty of clear fluids, but do not eat solid food for 3 hours before the examination
- Patients scheduled for abdominal and/or pelvic studies should arrive 30 minutes early to drink oral contrast material used to better visualize the stomach and intestines
- Take your usual medications
- Always inform your technologist or doctor if you are pregnant or could be pregnant
Premier Radiology is proud to offer cardiac calcium scoring for $50.00. To schedule your appointment today, please call 615.356.3999 or find a location near you.